I was not in any way raised to be religious...I tell people that I am Christian and that is about as far as my religion goes. But, strangely enough I have decided to observe Lent...for those of you don't know, Lent is a 40 day period of fasting and purification that begins on Ash Wednesday (3/1) and ends the day before Easter (4/15).
Most Catholics spend the Lent season in prayer, reflection and repentance. Lent is a time for soul-searching, facing great challenges and overcoming mistakes. But those of you who know me, know that I am not that deep :) Other than prayer and soul-searching there are other ways to observe Lent. You can fast in whatever way seems appropriate - its intensity has varied from total abstinence to refraining from eating meat to fasting.
I have decided that I will give up something that I love for the 40-day period, it's supposed to symbolize my return to simplicity and purity. I could give up anything, cigarettes, chocolate, television, surfing the Internet, so long as the meaning of its absence holds significant value to me.
Some of you may be wondering why have I decided to observe Lent since I am not religious...The voluntary surrender of a cherished substance or pastime may have powerful spiritual and psychological benefits (that doesn't even sound like me huh?) Okay, so I'm doing this for my own self-satisfaction and ego...If nothing else, it will show what I can do when I put my mind to it.
Here's the hard part...what should I give up??? I could be more virtuous for a few weeks? Don't lose my temper, don't gossip, don't complain, go to church more often...hehehehe. No really, I haven't decided yet, but I am leaning toward fast food and sweets, what do you think??? It'll help my diet right? My co-worker seems to think that I should give up diet coke, but my God that would be soooo hard!
Here's a little side note, I of course did a little bit of research on Lent and found out that on Sunday I can eat what ever I want, there are actually 46 days and most churches do not count Sundays as one of them. It's just like the diet that I keep saying I am going to start...only this time I really will :)
Monday, February 27, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment